My goal is to run 1,000 miles in 2010. See how far along I am:

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Training for a Half Marathon! Day 1

For a while now Kate has been encouraging me to train to run a marathon with her. I finally agreed to a half marathon to start.
13 miles. 13 Miles of non stop running. 13 miles, for real? Yes. While I am notorious for planning to do things and never doing them, Im thinking the more people I tell that I am doing this, and the more people asking about it the more obligated I feel to finish what I started. (Case and point with my trip to Japan!)

I started yesterday. I ran, or i tried. I lasted about 5 min before I wanted to die. Then I just walked fast. After we ran (walked) around Kate's neighborhood, we went to the gym in her building. I did the elliptical for 25 min. and then on the treadmill, I would walk for 1 minute, and run for 1 minute, alternating. Then we did all the arm machines. I really *despise* the gym, although I felt less hatred for it yesterday. Kate says once I get past my distaste for running I will crave it. After our gym adventures, Kate made us salad for dinner. The other good thing about this is im already much more motivated to not each garbage.

Here is the schedule that I am starting off with. I need to be able to run 3 miles to start using the half marathon schedule.
This is a non offensive plan for when you are starting out never really running before. I changed the order of the days a bit to work with my schedule better.  Here it is. 

                                                    Sat     Mon   Tue       Wed   Thur     Sun   Fri
I will be doing my long run days on Fridays, because I get home from class around 12:30, so I can run in the middle of the day and relax after with out anyone around. I also believe that it will help keep me in check for the weekend, eating and drinking wise. If I want to go a little bit over board, Saturday is usually the day that happens. While Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday are kind of optional on this chart, I am making Saturdays manditory. Tuesday and Thursday will vary, with school work and things. Hooray! Go Me!

No comments: